Friday, December 10, 2010

How the Dream Began . . . . .

Scuba diving has always been a favourite pastime of mine and it had even more appeal as my dive buddy was my partner. I always had a ream of running my own business and after a successful 15 year career in Financial Services I decided, with my other half, to make the jump to a second career - setting up and growing our own scuba diving business.

It wasn't a simple, or easy decision. But it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. I was enjoying a successful career with a Global Bank and enjoyed every job I had with the same Bank. My last position was as Chief Operating Officer and Risk Director for Barclays Bank Seychelles (living and working in the Seychelles for 2 years). Before that I worked in business development leading Deal Teams to win credit card joint venture opportunities. It would have been very easy to stay on and continue with my career in banking. But sometimes you have to make a giant leap, take a risk, have a go.

We'd put a lot of time in discussing our dreams, our plans, what we do next. We put effort in to evaluating options for setting up a diving related business, we got qualifications to help us succeed when we gave our dream venture a go. But at some point you have to decide if you are going to make the first step in a totally different direction and when you are going to make it.

So here we are, 3 years on after making that step. There's nothing quite like running your own business in something you have a passion for. It's not always been easy, it's been worth it though! I always encouraged others to go for their dreams, be the change they want to see in other - now it's my turn.

My blogs will cover life at Borneo Dream (our business) and what's special about scuba diving in Sabah, Borneo. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Well said well done . just hope mine works out the same photography and scuba. Its a struggle. Especially doing this degree .

    yep! dream are often tomorrows realities !

    ReplyDelete